CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 8, 2010

Just "hanging" around with Mom

It only takes one or two new pieces of artwork to upset the entire apple cart of home decor. If you replace one, something else has got to be moved, and so on. I have a slight aversion to wantonly pounding nails into freshly painted walls. I always have, but my left-brainedness makes that condition slightly more acute. Henry is way worse than me, so I hang pictures during his absence. I also suffer from "interior designer's daughter syndrome." It shall be referred to in the future as "IDDS." One of the side effects of this syndrome is that I cannot hang a picture without my mother being present. It's not that I can't do it, per se, but that I know that my execution will be just seven or so degrees off of "just right." Why not just wait for the big guns to come in and do the job right? Especially if the guns live eleven minutes away. So when Mom arrived yesterday with her bag of tricks; levels, measuring devices, hammers, hooks, and nails of all types, I just stepped aside and let the artiste work. Just kidding, it's not that dramatic, yes it is. But this one above the fireplace was a real doozie. Heavy like rocks and came with two hooks, so the measuring had to be spot on.

Now these birdie nests, I did myself. But look at top rightie-pants, not so great.


Kevin's a girl? So, these two chairs remind us of Carl and Ellie's chairs in "UP." This painting given to us by Mom and Dad for Christmas this year. I love it! We hung it down in the family room.


Hanging a grouping is like a black diamond ski trail. You better just watch yourself. This trio of frames came with the dreaded double hook of death. Big payday, however to hang such lovely images of my two girls. Thank you, sweet Jeni for taking those pictures!


Egg and nest relocated to above the piano. Mom handed me the wheel, and just like Russell throwing the GPS out the window, I dropped the little hanger right behind the piano... oops.
Thank goodness for extras.
Ah, a first anniversary splurge of mine and Henry's. Very fond memories. I like its new location.


A little 45 record cover given to Henry from John and Ashley. Pearl Jam, of course.
It's so enjoyable to see things hanging in a different place for a change. Even more enjoyable are the memories of the picture hanging giggles Mom and I got while medicating my case of IDDS.
Thanks Mom, from the bottom of my heart.

6 comments:

  1. I too suffer with IDDS. I shouldn't say suffer though, because really the pros dramatically outweigh the cons. Thank heavens for the bag o tricks and thank heavens for Mom. Lucky us.

    p.s. Its looking very architectural digest over there. I definitely need to drop by and get a better view!

    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks super lovely. way to go!! you two make a good team. I suffer from IDDS and ADNS ( awesome designer neighbor syndrome). I now cant function without you and my own mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well speaking of syndromes, you three ought to try the "fantastic daughters' mother syndrome" also know as "FDMS". Actually, I know all three of you do enjoy it right now, but the day will come when you, too, will work really hard to keep up with your smart, beautiful, industrious, capable and very clever daughters. You, too, will use every trick and talent and skill you have to "hang" in there with the kids even if it is just hanging pictures. Most of all, though, you will love every minute you get to work or play or laugh or cry with your lovely daughters. You will take every opportunity to see them in their own homes being the mommie and living happy and productive lives. It truely is the sweetest syndrome to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet words, Mom. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all. Such beautiful pieces of art on your walls in their perfect places. Shane thinks I'm silly that I too can't hang anything without my Mom. I will have him read this now. It feels good to have company.

    p.s. Happy almost birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel your pain. i have 5 pictures sitting on the floor downstairs in various spots because noone is here to help me hang them and i can't possibly finish hanging them myself. it has been 5 years now that they have been there - leaning against the wall. i wonder when guests come, do they think i want them that way?

    your end product looks just lovely! come on over.

    ReplyDelete