CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 28, 2009

Riots-Disturbances & Hostage Situations

Will I post about New Year's resolutions? Not one bit, however I do have really great intentions and today I began a quest of organization. Mom and Dad handed down a groovy little filing cabinet and I decided to discontinue our habit of placing all of the bills and important stuff in a cute little aluminum bucket with star cut-outs that my good friend Jeni gave us eons ago at Christmastime. It should really hold cookies, plants, or muffins, but never the DMV registration or dental bills. Not to sell it short, Henry and I have treasured it and will always, respectfully refer to it as, "The Bucket."
Along with the file cabinet, Mom passed down some nifty little hanging folders with the accompanying little plastic label do-dads. Turns out I have the 3rd generation version. Mom said I could just remove the little label cards and flip them over to write my own stuff. It also turns out that it's difficult to fold over other peoples' stuff and write your stuff over the backs. Difficult, but meaningful.

Most of the files were labeled by my mother, and a few by my dear Grandpa Wright. Ernie Wright was the head of Corrections for the state of Utah during the Matheson era. His file names tell me that he had a little more on his plate than just keeping Oreos stocked in the jar for my visits. His files read:

"Sentencing Guidelines"
"Annual Report Bear River Mutual" (he was president)
"Riots-Disturbances & Hostage Situations" - oh my!

Mom's represent her business side as well. Some of them read:
"Mouldings and Crowns"
"Lighting"
"Window Treatments" This file is still full, and it's all great stuff!
"Kitchens"
"Floors, Rugs, Wood, Tile"
"Looks"
"Bookcases and Built-ins"
"Upholstery Details"
"Fireplaces"
Not to leave out:
"Teaching"
"LDS"
"Family Relations"
What a lovely little time capsule for me to unfold and contemplate. I will try my best to keep and create order in the way that my mother and her father so beautifully demonstrated. Thanks for sharing, Mom.

9 comments:

  1. This Post is form Henry. Long live the BUCKET. I love IT!!!! It's is 1. Cute 2. Durable 3. Has never let me down. (Once in the bucket it is as good as being in Fort Knox). You can have your fancy filing systems. The bucket works and is fail proof. Note to Jeni C. This bucket is be placed beside me in my coffin with its contents intact. (Tatiana will fight you on this. This is why I must have a third party responsible for its placement) Only the giver of the bucket can understand its beauty and power in possesses.
    Viva la BUCKET

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I touched a nerve. Seriously, Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never come between a man and his bucket. Just sayin.

    Love the folder tabs. That was a little walk down memory lane! A nice reminder that even the small things we do are noticed by others, even if it isn't until much later. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that I don't remember this bucket, but I am thrilled it has been part of your family. And I will make sure that it gets the proper burial as requested. hee hee Love it.

    I'll also make sure that Tatiana has a John Mayer pillow to rest on.

    Happy organizing! Sounds like fun to me. Love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A correction if I may. Hona you were so young... Grandpa worked during Calvin Rampton's run as governor. When Matheson was elected he grabbed himself a new Director of Corrections. You remember Matheson because you've heard the stories of me as a 13 year old giving him dirty looks at the dinner honoring Grandpa.

    Mess with the family and you have to deal with me! Take that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, to create and keep order...I long for order and control over my stuff but you girls do have a mental image of my office, not to mention the basement, and so you know how successful I have been in that regard. I wish you patient and thoughtful effort as you find, acquire, toss and file!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henry Again:
    Sing along with me-
    If you twist and turn away
    If you tear yourself in two agian
    If I could, yes I would
    If I could, I would
    Surrender
    Dislocate

    Start Humming- Wait for it Wait for it

    Alex- What is U2?

    Can you Guess what the Category was. Winner gets to place one item in my bucket!
    Viva La Viking Boat Pushers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Shug.
    You and I can rant back and forth about the bucket and the possibility that JM ripped one off from U2....
    Or, we can leave the rest of the world/neighborhood out of the discussion. You are a dork. Straight up, dorkis-magorkis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you! Henry... you're a funny boy. Hona... you are the most darling girl and cutest Viking Boat Pusher. Love you both.

    Giggling. A lot.

    ReplyDelete