CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 8, 2009

sister

Guess which one is me?
yep, it's me, "chins" right there in the middle of two of the most loving people in the world.
Tiffany, my dear sister celebrates her birthday today. She has always been a tough act to follow.
She was born with physical aptitude that neither my brother nor I were blessed with.
*auditions for Nutcracker, en pointe...check.
*slalom water skier...check.
*100 and 400 meter hurdler (record-holding)...check.
*volleyball spiker...check.
*viewmont vykettes...check.
you name it, she could do it.

It could be enough to really make a person angry and resentful if she wasn't so darn wonderful inside. In my ninth grade year, she took me to the track, (on my request) because I had asked her to help me see if I could get my body to fly over a hurdle in the way that she could. Knowing the basics about genetics, I thought it feasible that I may have received a similar set of track-star DNA. It didn't take long for me to realize that her long, lean legs had something that had eluded me during heavenly registration day.
Later, I stole her old volleyball shoes out of her closet hoping that I might be able to "vibe" off of them and actually serve the ball inside the court lines, rather than behind me. It was a no go. For a tall girl, my unusual skill set was a real mystery to the athletics staff at VHS.

Tiffany was an all-star then, and now. These days she performs the mom, wife, nurse, cook, daughter, and sister duties with the same excellence and grace as she did the talents listed above. Lately, and not surprisingly, she's got a mean game of badminton.

She is my very bestest sister in the whole world!
Happy Birthday!
I love you!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Tatiana- laugh, sob, smile. You are so kind and far too generous. Thank you for forgiving the less glowing aspects of my history. You are lovely and talented in ways that I only dream of. Thanks for being the better 'bestest' sister a girl could have. I love you. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Tiffany! What a talented girl you are! Hope you had a wonderful day. What an adorable childhood photo.

    And Tatiana I know how you feel. I had to follow an amazing artist as a sister and the art teachers were very generous to me because they thought I must have the gift too. Well I don't. In a game of pictionary my rough sketch of an outline of the US was stated to look more like a chicken bone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both made my day...happy is the mother whose children like each other!
    Happy Birthday, Tiffany.
    Love you both forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Tiffany! How blessed I am to have married the man that you call "brother". Just to be a part of this all too amazing family is such a gift. What did I ever do to get not one, but two sisters as awesome as the two of you?
    Love you both,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhh...sisters are the best. i count neighbor sisters among my true sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you write. Mostly love the way you think! (Looks like that might be genetic. That would make your kids pretty lucky, too!)

    ReplyDelete