CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Take Me Back To *1983

What's the most desirable, coveted food choice that Lunch Lady could ever offer you? Yes, it would indeed be the peanut butter bar. What a fine school day it turned into after rounding the lunch line to see those gems laid out just beyond the mystery meat. Talk about a silver lining! Well, I had never successfully crafted them in my kitchen. But, yesterday I came across a real winner. And it's legit, too. It's written in the hand of our very own Knowlton Elementary Lunch Lady. She had to like, one-eighth the recipe to accommodate a non-industrial sized cookie sheet. Go ahead and make these and you'll recall a freer time; before peanut snacks were banned in schools because 9 out of 10 children had severe peanut allergies. FYI: I am certified in epi-pen administration. It's sitting right in my desk drawer and I'm not afraid to use it.
Anyway, the whole family loved them so here's the goods. Give them a try and don't you dare put canned frosting on them. And yep, I mixed it all up in my handy-dandy food processor.


Peanut Butter Bars
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 teas. salt
1/4 cup peanut butter + 1 cup for topping
3/4 teas. soda
1 teas. vanilla
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour

Cream together butter, sugars, peanut butter, egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Press into ungreased jelly roll pan. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes. Do not over bake. Spread on about 1 cup peanut butter over all while still warm. Cool and frost with chocolate frosting.


*This post would be so freakin awesome if I could get my play list up and running. You would hear John Mayer sing "83" to get you right in the groove of yesteryear. I'm working on it.



9 comments:

  1. Ahh . . . the beloved peanut butter bar. At my school they served it with yucky French dip sandwiches and the dessert would be the only thing I ate for lunch. This is great information to have and I am humming the John Mayer song even as I drool over the treat or in your case John Mayer. We all know about your little crush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously these were delicious. and it does take me back to bonneville elementary where i wanted to buy school lunch on the days when peanut butter bars were the dessert.

    but if i am honest... i was three in 1983.

    he he. i guess for me it would be like 1986 but there is no cool john mayer song called 1986- oh well.

    ps- i can help with the music player if you desire. and john said you wanted a new background. is this true. there are some good things about being three in 1983.. i know my way around blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is ashley.

    you must change this comment thing, i will help you with that. this format for commenting always gets me confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it seems you are volunteering to bring dessert on Sunday? Don't worry your little head over rolls this week; I think peanut butter bars will be fine with spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Tatiana, I was cruising blogs, and came across a comment on the Connors blog from Tatiana. I thought to myself, could they know that many Tatianas, just one click of my mouse and my question was answered!

    Can't wait to try out the peanut butter bars! I've tried meany different recipes but they're never quite the same.

    In 1983 I was still in Peggy Reids Preschool but after that I did spend six years at Knowlton enjoying them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s.-I meant to put my name so you knew who the heck this was. :)-Jamie Wilkerson

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! i remember the days when you would walk in the cafeteria and there were peanut butter bars. I would decretly throw away my tuna on homemade bread and jump in the lunch line! mmmm! what memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh geez I meant discretely- but (sorry John) the definition doesn't actually fit (it means seperately) and here I thought it meant secretly. I have made a huge mess of my first comment. Guess I should stick to more familiar words like stealth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. umm! not that anyone is even following the comments on this post anymore. But I have once again learned I shouldn't have cheated on my spelling. I think the word I am looking for is discreet!!

    ReplyDelete