CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Lucky



I'd say that I've read at least one bedtime story every night to at least one of the litter for a solid twelve years running. If I'm being honest, I've grumbled about that responsibility more than a few times. It's a hoop that I must jump through each night in order to earn my own time. Admittedly, I designed the hoop, so I asked for it. And, after all is said and done, I wouldn't change a thing, either. Mr. Ihrig can and has taken on the mantle of reading to the youngins, when needed; when I just can't take another minute, but the kids say he skips pages to finish quicker.



So, tonight it was Lassie and the Deer Mystery. Henry assimilated the words "weapon" and "slingshot" into his vocabulary. It truly is amazing to watch a little person's mind work. There is no substitute for a book. It trumps almost any learning device you can put in a child's hands. The best part of tonight's book choice is that the title page is inscribed by my Great-Grandma Idaho to my big brother Tony on his 7th birthday, 1968. The price tag indicates she paid 29 cents for it. Sweet dreams, little man. Mommy loves you.







5 comments:

  1. nice post.
    I too have been caught skipping pages. "Dad," Sophie will call me out in a half confused, half disappointed voice, "why are you not reading the real words?"
    Super glad Mr. Ihrig is back to his proper title. He was a life saver tonight. And I hear he finally bested the christmas tree...so two points for him. Ash will make some cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Lassie, other than he kind of reminds me of our little neighborhood dog that I miss so much. What a great bedtime tradition! It's nice that you still have that book. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hooked. If I had to pay for a subscription to read your blog I would. What a sweet post with a mention of Grandma Idaho. Can't you see Tony @ 7 enjoying that book? I read this outloud to Rich who just cracked up at the skipping pages part. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that little henry... and you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our little Grandma would be so happy to know that she is still influencing the development of her family. Thanks for a peek at your "Mommie priorities"...they are lovely and make your Mommie very proud!

    ReplyDelete